I handed in my letter of resignation.
It’s something Leandra and I have debated for a while now. Up until this past weekend, we planned on me going back for this school year and then striking off on our own in the summer of 2015. Practically speaking, it was the most reasonable thing to do: I had consistent pay, insurance, and my school pays for 50% of my college tuition bill. The problem though, is the decision for me to teach one more year never felt right for either of us.
In my last post, I wrote about the power of negative visualization and analyzing risks. The process I referenced required making lists and breaking down specific pros and cons of a given choice. While helpful, I think “list making” is extremely limited. List making may reveal if something is possible or probable but it is never the deciding factor in my decisions. More often than not, I already know what decision I need to make.
Some people call it an internal compass. Others refer to it as their conscience. It’s the feeling deep in your gut. An inkling in your chest. The thing that tugs at your heart. Fortunately, I’ve spent the past several years learning how to listen. As a Christian, I ask for it. And even when I don’t want it, it’s there.
In this situation, Lee and I made the choice for me to go back. We wholeheartedly planned on me returning to school this year. I started prepping for the first day and helping the other teachers with their technology concerns. Through all of it, I had an overwhelming feeling of unsettlement. After confirming with Leandra and finding out she felt the exact same, we made the choice to go all in.
That’s the other beautiful piece of this- faith. Many people wait until everything is perfect or safe before they act (If it wasn’t for Lee and forcing myself, I’d probably be the same way). Some people are in a perpetual state of waiting and they never end up where they want to be. I don’t ever want to be like that.
I firmly believe if working for myself is what’s next for us, then it will happen. I didn’t wait to have the perfect online product or more clients than I can handle. I listened, trusted, and acted.
I offered to stay on through September in order to help get the next tech teacher properly trained but I was told I didn’t need to come back in.
So here I am. Excited, scared, and ready.
I’ve already had a lot of people comment on the weight of my decision. What are you interested in? What would you like to hear about next? Leave your comments below.
Location: Downstairs work area (I’m going to be here until I can afford a new laptop!)
Music: Let’s Go by Matt and Kim
Good luck to you Jeff!!
Go with it with no regrets. Do the things that scare you sh*tless, it may bring hardships. But you’ll be a better person for it. Tell Lee an old childhood friend says hi. -Thomas
Matt Worden Games (@MattWordenGames) says
Nice, bold step, Jeff. I’m sure that you and Lee and the kids will rock it!
Jeff Large says
Little Kerry's Acres says
This is awesome! We know this feeling SOO much! I’m so happy for you that now is your time. We are praying for the same amount of clarity when it is ours. 😉
Jeff Large says
Thanks guys! Let us know if we can help you with anything. All the best!