Sales Schema CEO Dan Englander is an expert at getting boutique ad agencies their dream clients. How? Master voice, authenticity, and cold outreach.
Dan’s specialty lies in running a fractional business team for boutique advertising agencies. That means his team is outsourced to help companies win and keep a pipeline of their dream clients, primarily through outreach campaigns.
4:45 “I think we’re in a really cool spot right now where small groups of [boutique] specialists are offering the most leverage and the least amount of risk to bigger companies.”
Develop a Dream Client Strategy
So, how exactly do you build a funnel of dream clients? First, it’s essential to know why you’ve been successful in the past and to capitalize on those strengths:
- Look at your previous wins. What made them happen?
- Position yourself as an expert within your space.
Then, start to develop relationships. Don’t hesitate to reach out to potential clients and make connections. With the proper system, even cold outreach can become less of a chore and yield incredible clients:
- Represent your brand/client’s voice authentically by maintaining a casual tone.
- Before sending an email or making a call to a potential client, read aloud what you’re going to send. Check for approachability and human connection.
- Let potential clients know you’re part of their world. Tell them about a recent win. Evidence of your track record helps them decide to talk to you.
- Make a tangible pitch without bragging.
- Keep it simple. Ask for what you want—don’t beat around the bush.
Embrace Cold Outreach
18:40 “There is a lot of aversion to cold outreach . . . but the fact of the matter is companies are doing business with agencies that have the skill set that they’re missing. This idea that the only way to win business is to go and get invited to a spooky mansion party or write a blog post is just not true in my experience. . . It doesn’t make it easy, but it’s definitely something that works.”
Cold outreach has to be part of your strategy at some point because otherwise you’re entirely at the mercy of inbound channels, which might not always be stable. When it comes to cold outreach, you’ll always be able to pick up the phone and make a call.
Start with focus and clarity when creating your cold outreach strategy. Think about who you’re serving, what problem you’re going to solve, and block out time dedicated to generating new business for your organization.
In This Episode You’ll Learn:
- Cold outreach isn’t going anywhere—and you should get comfortable with it.
- How LinkedIn Sales Navigator can make cold outreach less scary.
- What to focus on first when developing a cold outreach strategy.
- The importance of not waiting to develop relationships with prospective clients.
- How to become part of a prospective client’s world.
- The ads you aren’t tracking may be your most successful.