Shana Pilewski is the Head of Content at Dynamic Yield. In today’s discussion, we talk all things content marketing: personalization, good stories, newsletters, and unplugging.
Shana has been working in the content marketing space for seven years, and particularly in the SAAS space since 2014, with stints at the likes of Open Topic, Outbrain, and now, Dynamic Yield.
As the Head of Content, Shana works with her teams to better understand their customers’ needs and give them the tools they need to be successful, which in today’s world is personalization.
“Personalization is the future of marketing.”
How do we find and create a good story?
- Do your background research and look into things that have already been done so you can set yourself apart.
- Interview experts in the space of your topic to add a personal flair, highlight, and give credibility to what you’re communicating.
- Take time to look at things from a global perspective to find a unique angle. Make it engaging by using relevant, timely information.
Then, after collecting everything, shape it, optimize it, and make it as valuable as it can be.
- Google Docs for collaboration.
- Talented designers who help the content look clean.
- Moz for SEO
- Newsletters to stay on top of current events.
- Her brain!
What trends are here to stay in marketing?
“What’s going to help marketers stand out more as time goes on, is humanizing what you’re doing.”
Personalization allows you to do this in a sense, as it creates tailored interactions with each user or customer that you have. Shana emphasizes the importance of time in marketing – it is all about time – connecting in real time, and helping customers save time by optimizing product discovery.
Dynamic Yield strives to help businesses serve their customers in this way, by creating an experience that is tailored to customer insights. They also allow the business to see suggestions as user actions evolve and change so that the business can guide their interactions as they see fit.
What would you encourage listeners to do or try?
Disconnect from the internet, texting, scrolling, and feeling the need to be connected all the time. Shana says that while it’s her job to participate, unplugging actually makes her a better marketer because she recognizes that she’s a human being first. Stop, slow down, look around, and appreciate life.
LinkedIn: Shana Pilewski
Twitter: Shana Pilewski
Dynamic Yield: Shana Pilewski
Leave a Reply